Noah St. John is a self-proclaimed self-help nerd who’s transformed lives and businesses by helping people get rid of the head trash that kept them from achieving their business goals.
As a result, Noah’s clients added over half a billion dollars in sales just over the last few years.
In this episode, Noah shares life-changing tips from his new book, Get Rid of Your Head Trash About Money: How to Avoid the 3 Big Money Mistakes Even Smart People Make, and gives insight into overcoming mental obstacles that keep entrepreneurs from making money and living the life they’re capable of living.
- Three simple elements that make a business work
- Money/Passion myth: Why following your passion won’t always lead to success
- 3 major mistakes that are holding you back from making more money
- The dangers of being an info-junkie and how to recover
- The biggest lie in the industry according to Noah
- An easy way to learn and start a business when you’re broke
- The 5 main systems of support to install for greater success
- Identifying the excuses you make that are keeping you stuck
- The red flags of a self-fulfilling prophecy
- Introspection: Is your ladder of success leaning against the right wall?
- Why you don’t want someone who’s ‘a natural’ as a mentor
- The most valuable thing Adams ever done that grew his business
- What qualities to look for in a mentor and what to avoid
- If you could have any superpower…choose simplification
- Started Successclinic.com in 1997 in a college dorm room with $800 and a book on how to do HTML.
- Now has students in over 120 countries
- Published 14 books in 12 different languages
- Only author in history that’s been published by Hay House, HarperCollins, Mindvalley, Nightingale-Conant, Chicken Soup for the Soul Publisher
“The worst advice in this industry is do what you love and the money will follow. That is the biggest lie out there.” – NSJ
Three elements that make a business work:
- Market demand
Understand who you are but find a way to package and position it that adds value to other human beings and that the market is willing to pay you for.
Noah’s seen people spend tens of thousands of dollars going to gurus and experts but still remained stuck.
3 big mistakes that are holding you back from making more money:
- Not getting rid of your head trash about money.
Head trash is that guy saying “I can’t do it because…”
Identify what your head trash is and notice how it’s affecting you.
- Not Having a Mentor – Someone who can show you how to get where you want to go.
Find someone who is where you want to be and can show you how to get there.
Look for someone system driven, not personality driven.
There are levels of mentorship. Start slow and simple.
To connect with your mentor, send a tweet, post on their Facebook wall, send them an email.
“[Self-marketers] are naturals. That means they’re unconsciously competent at allowing themselves to succeed. That means they can’t really break down what they did and we can’t replicate it.” – NSJ
- Gathering too much information without giving yourself permission to succeed.
Gathering information is addictive and it feels like you’re being productive.
Consuming info doesn’t actually add any value.
Overwhelm is an excuse. It means you don’t have the right systems in place. This is something you can control.
If you’re drowning in information without implementation, you’re going nowhere and it doesn’t make you money.
Take in less information and do more implementation.
“We don’t live in the information age, we live in the information overload age.” – NSJ
“I would spend hours a day studying, reading books, taking notes and my business was flat. And finally, it was almost a breaking point…I know more than I need to know and I’m doing nothing with it. And I stopped and things just took off.” – AE
Install the 5 main systems of support:
- People – Who are you listening to in your life? Wean yourself off the surrounding naysayers and get better people, like a mentor.
- Activities – What are you doing with the days of your life? Are you consuming or producing?
- Environment – Clean the clutter from your inner game and outer game. Your inner game: Beliefs, values, decisions.
- Introspection – Are you taking time every day to make sure your ladder of success is leaning against the right wall? Many are climbing the ladder of success that they don’t want anymore.
- Simplify – Simplify your life, streamline your business. It’s a superpower.
“It’s not just about how much money we make but how much of our lives we own.”-NSJ
What is the best piece of advice you’ve been given in regards to marketing and growing your business?
“Give yourself permission to succeed.”